Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blog around the Block

A curious serendipity, that I should meet some of the winners of the Irish Blog Awards http://awards.ie/blogawards, on the night when I was considering starting my own blog (as a college assignment for my Online Journalism class).
A blog, according to Damien Mulley (shortlisted for the Irish Blog Awards 2007), is a sort of journal. Posted by individuals to display information.

Definition: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page; also called [Weblog], [Web log] Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.


I decided to try and vary the formats of info for this blog for two reasons.

1) The mandate for this college assignment is to use a variety of media.
2) The blogging medium is a hybrid itself and so deserves a hybrid format.


I used video to document my investigations.

We started off in Sin é be the quays. A friend, a pint, and a lunar eclipse.



For a period of two hours the moon waned and waxed into a milky grey soup of sun shadow. Each time I stepped out for a fag would I find her in varying states of undress. What was most enjoyable about the eclipse was the reaction of people on the streets of Dublin. They stood, cigarette, pint or can in hand and gazed up at the darkening spectacle, like children looking for Santa. It added a mysterious spice to the night.
Click here for good shot of the eclipse

Barry suggested a party.

Off we went to the Westin on Westmoreland.



A blond girl in a little black number, Sorcha, was celebrating her birthday. I was kind of gatecrashing this do. So I deemed it necessary to congratulate the birthday girl.
"So what age are you, I'd swear not a day over 23." A gentleman should always round down in such circumstances.
Sorcha laughed and looked at my friend Barry, with whom she was aquainted, as if to say, 'so where did you get this guy from?' But she smiled graciously and enquired whether I was enjoying myself.
"Very much so my dear." I enthused. I thought about complimenting her on her charming attire, a figure-hugging black dress with heart decorated lace around her waist, but decided that would be too forward. Instead I began a tedious gush about the lilting jazz band in the far corner of the room.
I was comfortably ensconced by the flowing taps of The Mint Bar in the Westin Hotel, when two individuals arrived. One proudly produced a green box, contained within was a glittering glass trophy; Best Group Blog 2007.
We gathered around them, I got talking to Colm. Their blog was sports related, and the guys , one introduced himself as Colm the other as Paddy O'Reilly, seemed cool, so we chatted for a while.
The award winners were modestly lapping up the attention. Colm politely answered my grilling about blogs, what they were, what one could do with one. He told me to email him if I needed any advice or info. Displaying a good deal of largesse he agreed to pose for a quick video (unfortunately the light level was very low & my camera switched off half-way through.Oops)

Also the video below is a kind of ultra-low quality fugue/montage of my night, so its news value is almost zilch and the camerawork deteriorates concurrent with how much pints I consumed as the night progressed. If you want to briefly glimpse Colm & Paddy fastforward to 1.18; oh and eh...apologies for the poor editing, sound, lighting, structure, content etc.

No comments: